Thursday, November 11, 2004

Getting Back on the Road

Four years I ran in high school
Three seasons per year
Twelve total seasons of running
Yet thanks to certain coaches, I became soured to the whole idea by the time I graduated. I took off the shoes and put them away.

Well, the five year break is over now. I bought myself a pair of running shoes a few weeks ago and have been hitting the road a couple times a week.

Holy crap, I'm out of shape... running shape.

But this will give me better endurance and maybe even drop a pound or two, which is always helpful when you're working for bodyweight feats. And besides, it's always good to strive for good all-round fitness. There's nothing sadder than watch a guy (who can lift a mountain of weights) get winded running a lap on a track.


So I went running tonight and remembered how much I enjoy it. Listening to my rhythmic breathing becomes a form of meditation. I can gather my thoughts or just clear my mind.

It's not the same on a treadmill. When I'm on one, I just feel like I'm keeping up, not actually running. Everything feels too controlled. But out on the road, I control everything. Master of it all.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, just thought I'd drop some information here that you might find useful if you have not yet already come across it. This information is , of course, in regards to running.... more specifically on the correct way to run. The following links best describe what I am talking about:

http://www.posetech.com/pose_method/


http://www.runningbarefoot.org/?name=HowRunBarefootOtherwise2001July29Saxton

I hope you find this information of use because I would hate to see you damage yourself with something so simple as running when you are devoting your time to developing such fantastic skills. I noted that you said that you had gone out and gotten some running shoes,and this made me think that you might not have come across this infromation. I must admit that I strongly suggest the barefoot running for I am a fond believer in it. It is such a completely natural way to run and really gives you the ability to feel the flow of running. Also, the feeling of grass flowing by under you barefeet is sensational. I'd say barefoot running is certainly a beast skill, eh?
Anyway, I'm a fan of the blog and it seems like you're really enjoying the development of your skills. Keep up the good work!

~ Tim Miller, NJ

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home