Wednesday, November 17, 2004

CPR, OAP, and KYA

Got CPR certified this past monday! Of course, that's about as hard as handing $40 to a stranger, but regardless it's a step towards my new career in personal training. I'll knock first aid training out in the beginning of December, and then choose which trainer certification(s) I want to study and test for.

On the training front, I worked on the OAP a bit after the CPR cert. I was definitely tired from the previous nights, but still pulled decently. During my squat workout yesterday, I needed to remove some ab slings that were hanging from the power rack chin up bar. How did I get up there and remove the slings??? A small jump with an OAP! Of course the momentum helped me get up part way, but I was cranking for a good portion of the ride upwards. It felt especially good to just stop and lock my arm as I worked with my other hand to undo the caribiner. Damn, now that's some real world strength application!

Seriously, it's only a matter of time now. I just need to keep the old elbows and shoulders healthy. The right arm needs a bit of work in the bottom position and I'll be sure to work some one arm dead hangs with it.

I started thinking of the other skills I'd like to acquire and the various training progressions required for each. This is what was turning in my head:

front lever: The shoulders are coming along well, but I think my weakness is actually my core. I've got to start working on more dragon flags.

one arm handstand: I was playing around with this just yesterday. My progression is coming, but it's going to take some more focused training, just like the....

one arm lever: I mentioned this previously. It'll be a goal in the very near future. If I master the one arm lever and one arm handstand, then we can start talking about the one arm handstand press.... muhahaha.

iron cross: my training has been far too sporadic for this. This, of course is due to availability of rings. Now that I've got my own set and some stretch tubing that should suffice, I'll start back up on this in the winter time. Because I should definitely acquire this skill before the....

planche: This is a "C" skill on rings, so it'll be some time before I see a true planche. Regardless, this is one of my favorite skills and one I train for fairly regularly. I think a focus on my bench press should help on this as well. My bench is a bit lacking, and some extra pushing muscle can't hurt.

flairs: I always thought this was such a hardcore stunt to pull on the floor. My love for the move is probably what drew me to pommel horse in my gymnastic years. I was able to throw some flairs on the mushroom, but always seemed to lack the flexibility for floor flairs (say that 5 times!). Last training go around just left my right wrist aching. So before I go at this again, flexibility will be the first concern.

v-seat: I never had a tremendous want to learn this skill, but I figure since I've had the L-seat for so long, that I should learn the next step in the progression. This will also be another good skill to work for when I working for the flexibility for my flairs.

vertical leaping: I think the time is just about here for another plyometrics program to increase my vertical. I've always had good ups, but I'm looking to dunk a basketball. At 5'8", that's one hell of a skill. I read some old advice that said one should be able to squat double their bodyweight before they start plyometrics. Whether this is true or not is irrelevant at this point, as I passed that mark the other day. That squat is actually what brought the whole idea back into my head.

Too much on the plate!! It's always been a challenge to limit myself. After the OAP, it seems that the one arm lever, one arm handstand, and front lever are the new goals. Of course, the planche will still be there as always. Letting go of that training routine would be like abandoning a child.


I've got to finish this post with a story about the weight room the other day. I was working on squats in the power rack and I see two guys working with 335lbs or so in the rack next to me. Now, with their form and technique, it didn't look like they should be handling that weight at all, but I let people work out the way they want. No one likes a know-it-all. Anyhow, after they're finished, the conversation went something like this:

guy #1: "should we take the weights off now?"
guy #2: "nah, someone else will get them"
both guys walk off.

Both of those guys better count their lucky stars I was coming up and racking weight at the time. By the time I got out from under the weight and turned around, they were gone. Otherwise, I'd have finished the day with a KYA workout - kicking your .. butt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home